It doesn’t matter if the child is 1 year old or 21 years old – learning and development delays can be worked with.
It’s not just a case of learning new skills, it’s about opening up blocked pathways!
I’m always one to try and figure out why.. why hasn’t that aspect developed enough to make that childs life easy?
- Is it a nutritional imbalance?
- Is it because of a trauma earlier in their lives?
- Is it a brain function block that just needs to be helped along?
- Is it a just lack of confidence?
- Is it a sensory processing issue that can be desensitised?
When I treat learning difficulties, we focus not on the learning but what is going on in the body and mind.
The sessions consist of body work, acupressure (acupuncture without needles!) and confidence boosting/emotional release.
Often my home treatments include:
- A couple of nutritional improvements/supplements;
- Some simple physical exercises to improve brain function (just 3-5 mins a day)
- Emotional processing tips for your child and your family.
My treatments can added-on or even an alternative to Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and other learning programs. If you are working with other therapists, I’m always more than happy to keep them updated on our treatment plans.
Read on for my favourite “brain-boosting” tips!
- Fish Oils – a good quality fish oil is imperative in helping kids achieve the best out of their brains. Omega 3 is the one we want more of generally.
- Marching! We want to be able to do a relaxed cross march – see video here. This trains the brain to cross the midline easily and quickly – meaning information is processed efficiently and effectively. Try and do 1 minute a day of this exercise.
- Food – avoid additives and sugar! Food additives (numbers on the back of your packets) and sugar affect the way the brain processes information.
- Kindness to self! We all make mistakes, breathe and try again – even in a different way!